Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The World's Best Films Introduction

We will list and review the greatest films in history, wherever and whenever they were produced. We will also pan those often considered classics by those with either limited exposure or undeveloped powers of artistic discrimination. Great films: The Best Years of Our Lives, Lawrence of Arabia, City of God, Memento, The Seven Samurai, Hero (Jet Li's), Babe, Finding Neverland, Parenthood, Hannah & Her Sisters Bad films: Cleopatra, Rocky, Saturday Night Fever, Oklahoma, South Pacific, Rambo, Footloose, Blazing Saddles, Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop (could a crime film be any slower paced?) Stuck in the middle with you: Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Star Wars, West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Kramer vs Kramer, Titanic (good special effects, bad plot) NOTE: I just found this Time magazine "re-review" of Titanic: "Titanic? I caused a bit of a ruckus by reviewing the film a few weeks before it opened and declaring it, at least artistically, "dead in the water." (Matt Drudge later claimed that I was put up to my pan by Time Warner boss Gerald Levin. Not true! I disliked the movie all on my own.) After rewatching it this week, I feel a bit warmer about the Winslet-DiCaprio love story, especially since serioso heterosexual romance has just about disappeared from movie screens in the intervening decade. But I still find the shipboard storyline clunky and unpersuasive, and I still can't wait for the damned iceberg to show up. Sue me for not having a heart." Enjoy and feel free to leave comments!

No comments: