4 titles, 78th in points with 10,819
Some may say that Demme is more popular than talented but I think he can direct a variety of films well, as I like his concert documentaries as much as his feature films. The best picture winning Silence of the Lambs is a classic homicide mystery, mixing elements of film noir with horror to create two of the creepiest portraits of psycho killers in cinema, played by Oscar®-winning Anthony Hopkins and Ted Levine, not to mention Oscar®-winning actress Jodie Foster’s most compelling performance as a young FBI trainee on her first homicide case, brought in for her psychological input. This is a modern classic, and a must-see film.
These are all the films of American director Jonathan Demme that made the top 1000 in our 2011 update of the Top Ranked 1000 Films on the Net, all polls.
1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) #47
2. Stop Making Sense (1984) #724
3. Rachel Getting Married (2008) #910 This story kind of got on my nerves, not sure why
4. Neil Young: Heart of Gold (2006) #963 Very good film, Neil Young is a songwriting genius, one of the best of all-time
Out of the top 1000
5. Neil Young Trunk Show (2009) #1105
6. Agronomist, The (2003) #1209
Stop Making Sense, a film put together from three nights of Talking Heads shows in Hollywood, may well be the best single-act concert film ever made.
See the full list of top ranked 100 directors here: Top Ranked 100 Directors, 2011 Edition